Generator overloading - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generator overloading

I have a Briggs & Stratton Q6500 generator. It’s about a year old but I’ve only used it twice. Both times were dry camping and it’s having the same issue. It will run normal, indicating a 50% load when I hook up my camper and the a/c kicks on. After a few minutes it revs up and overloads, tripping the system and cutting power. The first time I thought it may be a camper issue, but I had everything checked out and it doesn’t seem to be the issue. I’m only putting about 3,000 watts through it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Is that 3000W as 110V, or 220V? If it's all on a single 110V leg, you may well be overloading one of the 2 legs. A 6500W generator is 3250W on each 110V leg. If it's spread across 220V, that should help.

If you have a suitable meter, you might be able to monitor the draw as this happens, to better understand what you're drawing, vs what the generator is rated for.

And remember that a compressor will briefly draw a lot of extra current as it starts (roughly double the running current). This can apparently be worse when the compressor has shut off once (reached the target temperature), then goes to start again with pressure already on the system.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

To be honest I’m not quite sure. It’s plugged into the 30amp spot on the generator so I’m sure it’s spread out? As far as spiking when it starts up, it is getting past the original start up. It’s running for a couple of minutes and the A/C unit never cuts off until the generator surges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I hadn't looked it up earlier, but I see now that it's a 5000W continuous, 6500W-peak inverter generator. The 30A outlet is 110V and 220V (or 120V and 240V, in the manual). So the AC could be 110V, or 220V.

The AC is putting out cool air, so the compressor is definitely running, etc? Have you turned off/unplugged/etc any other loads in the camper? Inverter generators will change speed based on their load. It suddenly revving up and overloading may simply be an indication that something else has turned on, and overloaded the generator. A fridge compressor, or something else in the AC unit, etc. Is the compressor turning off after a few minutes, then turning on again as the generator overloads? A compressor re-start will be tougher than the initial startup. Setting the thermostat really cold is a way to help ensure the compressor is running continuously, for testing.

What if you set the generator to always run the engine at full speed, rather than reducing the speed based on the engine load? If a brief sudden load hits, having an inverter generator already at full speed can help it handle a big load that would overcome the generator if the engine was turning slowly. The load still needs to be within the rating of the generator, of course. But if the engine is turning slowly, and a big load hits, the output voltage will sag , while the generator is trying to speed up the engine. This can be tough on the item you're powering, and can cause the system to overload (the lower voltage can cause the device to try and draw more current).

What size AC? One of the 13,500 BTU ones? From my simple understanding, that kind should *probably* be OK here, but if it's 110V, not 220V, that could make it tougher. I have a Honda EU2000i (1600W continuous, 2000W peak), and I've ready that one of those will not run a 13,500 BTU AC, but 2 in parallel usually will. But in parallel, that's providing 3200W continuous, 4000W peak, on 110V. Yours can provide 2500W continuous, 3250W peak, on a single leg of 110V.

So far are all your tests the "same"? Camper AC running on the generator? I'd want to isolate the two, to understand if the generator will overload on other things too, or if it's only related to the AC. Run some other big load on the generator, at home if you need to. A space heater or hair dryer will often draw around 1500W, and can put a pretty significant load on a generator.

What happens if you load up one leg of the generator to nearly 20A, 2400W? That's the rating of the normal-looking outlets, and basically the rating of the 30A plug (20.8A per leg). Let it run like that for a while, and see if the generator suddenly overloads. If it's OK, move the load to the other outlet and test again. If that's OK too, I'd try to load up both outlets to get the overall generator load to approach 5000W, and see how it does.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Could be the the converter/charger used to keep your onboard battery charged.

They can easily draw 15+ amps when they cycle on.

Best thing to do is make sure you start with a fully charged RV battery. (and don't rely on your tow vehicle to charge the battery)

-RF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page