1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff Erb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
generator killing my grass

So I purchased my first generator , a Westinghouse WGEN 6000. After oil and gas setup I moved the generator to my side yard for its first run and to see how loud it would be in the bedrooms on that side of the house. I let it run for about 35 minutes and then shut it down. let it sit and cool for an hour then moved it back into the garage.
The next morning I discovered that the grass on which the generator was sitting was turning brown and dying. the attached picture was the next day. 2 days latter it was even worse.
Is this normal or do I have something wrong with this generator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190621_164031.jpg (546.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190622_085638.jpg (685.0 KB, 12 views)
elisabeth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Do you know where exactly the grass was dying, relative to where the generator was sitting? Was it under the generator head, or under the engine? My guess would be hot air blowing off the machine is "cooking" the grass.

You could run it again briefly, let it warm up, and see where it has hot air blowing down. If you can identify the source, maybe you could make a little heat shield or something to help protect the grass.

My tractor will sometimes brown the grass if I leave it running/idling in 1 spot for a while. My assumption is it's due to the hot muffler.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yes thats my guess aswel, its burning the grass...You could make a strong wooden movable platform for it, thats if its not too heavy to lift? Or put blocks of wood underneath to raise it a bit

Last edited by speedy2019; 06-23-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Erb View Post
So I purchased my first generator , a Westinghouse WGEN 6000. After oil and gas setup I moved the generator to my side yard for its first run and to see how loud it would be in the bedrooms on that side of the house. I let it run for about 35 minutes and then shut it down. let it sit and cool for an hour then moved it back into the garage.
The next morning I discovered that the grass on which the generator was sitting was turning brown and dying. the attached picture was the next day. 2 days latter it was even worse.
Is this normal or do I have something wrong with this generator?
That looks pretty normal to me. Generators put off a lot of heat. I built a little shed for mine to run in, since the weather is usually bad when I need to use it. I installed automatic louvers and a 16" fan to keep the air moving, and a thermal alarm to alert if the temperature goes above 80F in the shed. The air coming out the exhaust side is quite warm, and I'm moving a LOT of air through there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust Side.jpg (192.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Intake Side.jpg (183.6 KB, 7 views)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input. I think I may grab some concrete pavers to make a small platform for it to sit on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
That looks pretty normal to me. Generators put off a lot of heat. I built a little shed for mine to run in, since the weather is usually bad when I need to use it. I installed automatic louvers and a 16" fan to keep the air moving, and a thermal alarm to alert if the temperature goes above 80F in the shed. The air coming out the exhaust side is quite warm, and I'm moving a LOT of air through there.
Nice, mine is just at the side of my house with a cover over it. I might need to make some kind of a shed to use it in the wet, but the cover is large enough to just have the top and the front panel covered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1q0ego.jpg (113.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF46733.JPG (160.2 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sharing perfect

this perfect sharing for my job..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
" Is this normal or do I have something wrong with this generator? "

the generator probably ran just fine, so why would you think something is wrong with the generator ?

while it was running, did you not happen to notice how hot the exhaust is ? even if you didnt......how hot is the exhaust on a lawn mower ? pretty hot. any exhaust that points down is going to do that.....

get some concrete patio stones and put the generator on that and that should be the end of you problem....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page