Honda eu7000i fuel drain - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honda eu7000i fuel drain

In that ever-exciting quest to make my future life simpler, I want to tap into the fuel feed from the Honda 7000i tank to the engine -- and put in a valve or a T with a line to a valve to make draining the tank easier. Hopefully without lighting things up with a leak or other unexpected bonus to my upgrade.

Has anyone taken the top off the beastie to see what may lurk beneath to prevent me from doing this? Any reason NOT to (risk of fire isn't necessary a 'reason', per se)?

I look forward to the hive mind for encouragement or belittlement.

Fixing stuff I've broke, since 1979.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It's a darn good idea. I have drain petcocks on my generators.

I have no idea how to do it on that model, but I'm sure it's doable. Consult your owner's manual, or a parts diagram/exploded view.

Do it right so there are no leaks. Locate the petcock in an out of the way place so it doesn't unintentionally get opened. Permanently attach a hose of sufficient length to it to facilitate easy and safe draining. Do all these things, and you'll minimize the fire risk.

BTW, if your goal is to assure that no gas is in the generator that can go stale, be sure to run the carburetor dry after draining the tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think it's a good idea.

If you want some extra protection against an accidental gas leak, you could put a fuel quick-connect on the drain line. I have some of these, they are designed to avoid any fuel spraying when disconnecting them, and they stay sealed off when disconnected. Atwood part 8838US6.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-U...-Hose/30652710

That way, even if you accidentally opened the drain valve, nothing would come out unless you also had the mating line connected.

I agree with also running the carb dry after draining the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas -- I'll see if I can chase down an exploded view for disassembly. This model is VERY compact.

Bonus is that it's fuel injected, no carbs. Still will run it dry - can't imagine there's a fuel rail, but I've never been into one of these small FI units. The owners manual goes so far as to walk through lubing the upper cylinder correctly for long-term storage. Honda is doing a more impressive job with their equipment servicing chapter: brushing out the spark arrestor, battery maint, etc. Even a wiring schematic. Just no exploded view

Is it appropriate to use this forum for making documents accessible? I'd be happy to upload the owners manual for this model. If so, what is the upper size limit the forum admin has set?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I must need coffee...

Found exploded views at partstree.com

https://www.partstree.com/parts/hond...ove/fuel-tank/

Sure would love to harvest the whole collection or a service manual, but it gets me on my way a piece at a time.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDNA View Post
Found exploded views at partstree.com
https://www.partstree.com/parts/hond...ove/fuel-tank/
Sure would love to harvest the whole collection or a service manual, but it gets me on my way a piece at a time.
You can always access all the parts diagrams and the Users Manual on the Honda Power Equipment site: Honda Power Equipment - Parts Look Up - Official Site
If you put your drain in the Fuel Line (10) between the fuel pump and the injector, I guess the fuel pump will assist in the draining process. Alternatively, you could add a standard tank petcock to a new hole at the low point of the tank near the fuel pump pickup and drain the tank directly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I don't know the answer, but I wonder if the fuel pump would be suitable for draining the contents of the tank like that. I'd expect it's designed more for low-flow, high-pressure. But I'm happy to learn. Just inferring by how it would typically be used.

If the only outlet from the tank is after the fuel pump, then perhaps it becomes simpler/safer to just siphon the tank out, to get the bulk of it, then run the engine until it dies?

I don't know what kind of pressure the fuel pump puts out, but tapping into its output means that your modification needs to withstand maybe 30+ (? I don't know) psi of gas without leaking. Very different than a gravity-fed line at likely under 0.5 psi. Drilling a new hole in the tank seems like a chance for a corrosion starting-point, or getting metal bits into the fuel pump.

Though not elegant, I have one of these siphon pumps, for $8 it's worked pretty well. There are plenty of other pump options too, Harbor Freight sells a battery-powered one for $10, which is rated for gas. Not a slick solution, to be sure, but pretty much zero risk to the machine, and minimal effort.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Though not elegant, I have one of these siphon pumps, for $8 it's worked pretty well. There are plenty of other pump options too, Harbor Freight sells a battery-powered one for $10, which is rated for gas. Not a slick solution, to be sure, but pretty much zero risk to the machine, and minimal effort.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I looked at the price of that pipe from the tank to the pump. >$200! So went to Lowes yesterday and found your hand pump for $4.98. Winner. I'm over-engineering this solution. KISS wins out and I'll pump it out the old fashioned way.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your unit has a fuel filter, make sure the "t" and drain valve is between the filter and the tank. If you place it downstream from the filter, it will take forever to drain a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page