Can you install an AVR on portable Generator? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
amc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you install an AVR on portable Generator?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you can install an AVR Automatic Voltage Regulator on any portable generator?

Especially if I get one that is used or relatively new, but that unit does not have an AVR installed. Can I get an AVR and install it so I can use some of my electronics with it, like my TV/Laptop during power outages.

I know you can get units with them already installed. But they are a little more expensive and at the moment I can't afford one. So I am looking at getting a used one and if I can install an AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Sure... You can get a small AVR module to fit most small generators: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-Automat...wAAOSwW6BaH7AR
although most already have one.

Or you can use external ones:

Here's a 1K one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nippon-...item4b4dffa174

Here's a 5K one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nippon-...cAAOSwP~tW3fAI

Last edited by tabora; 09-29-2018 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
tabora, I had done just a bit of reading about adding an internal AVR, and some discussions that I found said that the answer depends on the type of generator. I think they mentioned that brushless generators may not be compatible with adding an AVR? It didn't seem like the answer was a universal "yes, you can add one", anyways.

But like I said, I was just doing some quick googling, after the question was asked. I don't know the details, nor am I an EE, so I have no idea how different types of generators (like being brushless) would figure into the discussion.

I'd be interested to learn more about whether an internal can be added to pretty much any generator (I'm excluding inverters), etc.

I am assuming that adding an external AVR box would presumably work with any generator type, since it's just another external load, as far as the generator is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
amc

Thanks guys for the replies.

That was exactly what I was looking for, since I have no idea about generators.

This will be my first when I buy one. This also will more than likely influence my decision on the generator I will get since the AVRs either internal or external don't seem to be very expensive.

Could mean I can get a bigger used genny and install one of these AVRs afterwards. Just have to do some research to see if the genny has brushes or not.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if you can install an AVR Automatic Voltage Regulator on any portable generator?

Especially if I get one that is used or relatively new, but that unit does not have an AVR installed. Can I get an AVR and install it so I can use some of my electronics with it, like my TV/Laptop during power outages.

I know you can get units with them already installed. But they are a little more expensive and at the moment I can't afford one. So I am looking at getting a used one and if I can install an AVR.
Hi AMC,

You can easily install an AVR Automatic Voltage Regulator on any portable generator. In last month one of my friend Installed Portable Generator through "Swift Equipment Solutions".

You can consult with "Swift Equipment Solutions" they will definitely help you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or you could get an inverter generator that produce pretty clean power and you may not need this at all. Look into Honda or aYamaha or other brands like Firman from Costco that may potentially have this already.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For curiosity, amc, what are you trying to run with it? And if you wanted to share your budget range, that could be helpful too.

You can get a 2000W inverter generator for about $450, I think, for Harbor Freight's Predator unit.

An inverter generator will produce the cleanest electrical output, and will also be quieter, and use less gas, than a traditional generator (with or without AVR). But they *are* definitely more expensive for a given output, so they're usually not the best option when trying to be budget-conscious.

But if you were only trying to run 1000W of sensitive items, and had a $500 budget, for instance, they could be worth considering.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
For curiosity, amc, what are you trying to run with it? And if you wanted to share your budget range, that could be helpful too.

You can get a 2000W inverter generator for about $450, I think, for Harbor Freight's Predator unit.

An inverter generator will produce the cleanest electrical output, and will also be quieter, and use less gas, than a traditional generator (with or without AVR). But they *are* definitely more expensive for a given output, so they're usually not the best option when trying to be budget-conscious.

But if you were only trying to run 1000W of sensitive items, and had a $500 budget, for instance, they could be worth considering.
Let me state what my issue is. I have a portable generator (Echo EG-4300) that works perfectly except for one issue. From a cold start, the generator outputs a voltage that can be adjusted by a pot on the avr to design voltage (manual says 252v at no load and design rpm of 3600). As the generator warms up the output slowly increases by a tenth of a volt steadily over time. I can bring the voltage back to 252v by the pot but it will again increase over time. If left alone the voltage will eventually increase to 280 then to 290, and over. I finally bottom out the pot and lose any further adjustment trying to bring the voltage into range. The generator has brushes. How are the reference voltages measured in the circuit? It looks like there is a coil in the stator feeding the avr (rectified and then being fed to the brushes?).
The question is why is this happening?, and what can be done to correct the voltage shift. Can there be something added externally that will help with the presumed temperature compensation needed?
Or is there something else I'm missing.
One other thing. I obtained a second generator unit figuring I could use the avr out of that one. Both units exhibit the exact same results. I hesitate buying a replacement avr for some excessive cost and have no better results than I'm having now.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:02 PM
KRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyuen View Post
Let me state what my issue is. I have a portable generator (Echo EG-4300) that works perfectly except for one issue. From a cold start, the generator outputs a voltage that can be adjusted by a pot on the avr to design voltage (manual says 252v at no load and design rpm of 3600). As the generator warms up the output slowly increases by a tenth of a volt steadily over time. I can bring the voltage back to 252v by the pot but it will again increase over time. If left alone the voltage will eventually increase to 280 then to 290, and over. I finally bottom out the pot and lose any further adjustment trying to bring the voltage into range. The generator has brushes. How are the reference voltages measured in the circuit? It looks like there is a coil in the stator feeding the avr (rectified and then being fed to the brushes?).
The question is why is this happening?, and what can be done to correct the voltage shift. Can there be something added externally that will help with the presumed temperature compensation needed?
Or is there something else I'm missing.
One other thing. I obtained a second generator unit figuring I could use the avr out of that one. Both units exhibit the exact same results. I hesitate buying a replacement avr for some excessive cost and have no better results than I'm having now.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You may or may not have a Voltage regulator issue. A perfectly good V/R can be over ridden by the Harmonics of the generator coupling up with the load Harmonics. It does not happen very often but it does an, can happen. If you are not at 100% load when this is happening, add enough resistive load to bring the unit up 100% load an see if it holds voltage. If that works your load an generator combo is the issue. HTH

Once you know how a device, system, ect operates, finding the root cause in the event chain is easy. Until then, you will always be chasing/repairing the effects. Learning is a life time event, if you want to outsmart, whatever item you want to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page