1Likes
  • 1 Post By drmerdp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suzuki SE1800AD Generator

I recently got a little generator a Suzuki SE1800ADSuz. I cleaned the carburettor and fuel system and changed the oil, it started immediately. It also produces power just a little too much power. The engine is running at 3040 RPM 50 HZ and the voltage is perfectly stable at 254/255 just running a 200w bulb. I had a look under the rear cover nd there appears to be a voltage regulator plus a mini capacitor. There is no adjustment on the regulator. Does anyone know anything about these generators? Is the little capacitor a voltage booster? Could I install a modern adjustable AVR? It runs so sweet I really want to keep it but Ireland has nominally 230v and it will damage stuff. Apologies for the long question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180419_194913.jpg (129.6 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The capacitor is the voltage regulator. I donít think any of those vintage generators had AVR.

From what I know... Run Capacitors are current regulators, give a boost to the field if input is low, and reduction on high inputs. Thatís how it keeps voltages in check. If your voltage is off, itís possible the capacitor needs replacing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
The capacitor is the voltage regulator. I donít think any of those vintage generators had AVR.

From what I know... Run Capacitors are current regulators, give a boost to the field if input is low, and reduction on high inputs. Thatís how it keeps voltages in check. If your voltage is off, itís possible the capacitor needs replacing.
Thank you for replying I have attached a couple of photographs of the regulator capacitor setup. Maybe you could take a look? The capacitor is actually hard wired to the regulator thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180420_132748.jpg (135.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180420_132750.jpg (113.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180420_132753.jpg (143.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180420_132756.jpg (98.9 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I’m only familiar with US voltages so I can’t say for sure if 255v is dangerous.

In the US our grid power is 120v a leg @ 60hz. Under ~130v and about ~62hz from a generator is acceptable under light or no load. As load increases voltage and frequency drop to more ideal numbers.

Assuming it’s a 1800watt peak generator, check it at higher loads and see if the voltages level off.
Paulk likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Iím only familiar with US voltages so I canít say for sure if 255v is dangerous.

In the US our grid power is 120v a leg @ 60hz. Under ~130v and about ~62hz from a generator is acceptable under light or no load. As load increases voltage and frequency drop to more ideal numbers.

Assuming itís a 1800watt peak generator, check it at higher loads and see if the voltages level off.
It stays at 254 volts up until 1600 watts (hair dryer) after that it drops to 235 volts but thats way more than I'd want to use few lights and a television at most or even just lights and the well pump in event of a power cut.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

I have been advised that the small booster cell is not needed so I have ordered a new AVR, when it arrives I will test it and update this post. Thanks for all replies
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:15 AM

I second your choice of the AVR. Let us know how it turns out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

So the regulator arrived but it's the wrong regulator why would I be surprised at that? It was posted in the UK but returns go to China it was cheap so I'll keep it. The generator will do for lights or the well pump. Cest la Vie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page