Briggs and Stratton standby generator issue - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Briggs and Stratton standby generator issue

Hello! I am new to the forum and looking for a little help.
In my travels, I acquired a used propane/NG powered B&S 7kW Model 40301 Generator.
Its set up for propane right now. Fires up and runs like a champ. Good voltage and frequency unloaded and not plugged into anything.
W/ the breaker off but the unit running, I plug the generator into the generator house receptacle (house is set up w/ male 4-prong plug to my fuse panel w/ inter-lock switch installed). As soon as i plug it in (not sending power to the house), the generator trips due to "low frequency)"
Even with the gird power off to the house and the gen plugged into the house but not sending voltage, it still faults due to low freq.
When I got it, it wouldn't stay running. I traced it back to the control board and replaced that.
Any ideas? voltage regulator?
I love troubleshooting and fixing stuff but this has me and my buddies stumped. I am use to big generators (I work on wind turbines).
Thanks for the help!!
-Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Wiring fault in cable or at connector(s)? With the unit running, can you plug something in to one of the 120V receptacles and it works OK? Do you have any additional grounds installed or does the genset pick up ground through the receptacle and back to your service entrance ground as is proper and legal? Some control boards can be sensitive about whether or not the "frame ground" at the genset is connected when there's a service entrance ground present also. Get the B&S manual which should specify whether the frame ground should be connected or disconnected when back feeding a load center.

Good luck,
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmar View Post
Wiring fault in cable or at connector(s)? With the unit running, can you plug something in to one of the 120V receptacles and it works OK? Do you have any additional grounds installed or does the genset pick up ground through the receptacle and back to your service entrance ground as is proper and legal? Some control boards can be sensitive about whether or not the "frame ground" at the genset is connected when there's a service entrance ground present also. Get the B&S manual which should specify whether the frame ground should be connected or disconnected when back feeding a load center.

Good luck,
Thanks for the reply. This generator does not have outlets. It?s hardwired. I have run my shop vac and an electric space heater off of each leg without any issues.
This generator also has the neutral and ground seperated so it is code compliant with only one point of ground/neutral in the main panel.
Any other ideas? All wiring and cables were confirmed in the correct locations and are in good working order.
-Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
KRE

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Has it ever worked properly on the house?
If not, lets start from scratch, with out anything plugged in it's OK?
You are able to run a 120Vac load from either leg?
Can you run a 240Vac load from the gen w/o issue?
When you first plug into the house does the engine sound different for just a 1/2 second or longer?
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE View Post
Has it ever worked properly on the house?
If not, lets start from scratch, with out anything plugged in it's OK?
You are able to run a 120Vac load from either leg?
Can you run a 240Vac load from the gen w/o issue?
When you first plug into the house does the engine sound different for just a 1/2 second or longer?
I have never hadn?t it working at my house. It?s new to me.
With it unplugged from the house, it will run all day.
Yes I can run things on each 120v leg. I have not run anything on 240v yet.
When I plug it into the house, no rpm change. Just faults after 3-5 seconds in low frequency.
-Jimbo
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to add, I did replace the control board. When I got it, the previous owner replaced the voltage regulator and swapped two of the wires (one hot and one neutral). I think this did something to the control board because it wouldn?t stay running longer than a minute or two and would not show any fault codes.
I?m wondering if that VR was damaged from the wires being swapped. There are only three controllers. One main control board, a charging card for the battery and the VR.
Jimbo
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:38 AM
KRE

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Run something on it that requires 240. if it runs OK your house wiring is wrong an the genset is seeing that an shutting down, as it should. I'm guessing from afar you have a phase or neutral wire in the wrong place.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1972 View Post
I have never hadn?t it working at my house. It?s new to me.
With it unplugged from the house, it will run all day.
Yes I can run things on each 120v leg. I have not run anything on 240v yet.
When I plug it into the house, no rpm change. Just faults after 3-5 seconds in low frequency.
-Jimbo

--Reaching here--- Have you been able to measure proper voltages, 120V phase to neutral and 240V phase to phase? Misusing the term phase here, but you should know what I mean. If those are OK, put a 240V load on it and see if it works. If those readings and test are acceptable, the genset is working, look closer at the cabling and connectors. Is the cable manufactured or "built" by somenoe? Sounding more and more like a transposed wire as KRE mentioned. As mentioned previously, control boards can trip out displaying various (unrelated) faults due to neutral issues, e.g. overloaded, etc. Have you verified the connections from the genset connection "box" into your load center? Has your house ever been successfully powered from a genset through the existing wiring?

"4-prong plug to my fuse panel w/ inter-lock switch installed). As soon as i plug it in (not sending power to the house), the generator trips due to "low frequency)" What does not sending power to the house mean? Genset breaker open? 2pole breaker in load center open? If either is open and all you did was connect the cable, the control board is suddenly sensing something as a fault and all you did was connect an open circuit. However the open circuit does supply the needed ground and neutral IF properly connected.

From this distance, sounding more and more like the genset works fine until you connect your service entrance neutral and ground. Wiring issue or there's a jumper that Briggs wants connected or unconnected to enable the control board to function properly.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmar View Post
--Reaching here--- Have you been able to measure proper voltages, 120V phase to neutral and 240V phase to phase? Misusing the term phase here, but you should know what I mean. If those are OK, put a 240V load on it and see if it works. If those readings and test are acceptable, the genset is working, look closer at the cabling and connectors. Is the cable manufactured or "built" by somenoe? Sounding more and more like a transposed wire as KRE mentioned. As mentioned previously, control boards can trip out displaying various (unrelated) faults due to neutral issues, e.g. overloaded, etc. Have you verified the connections from the genset connection "box" into your load center? Has your house ever been successfully powered from a genset through the existing wiring?

"4-prong plug to my fuse panel w/ inter-lock switch installed). As soon as i plug it in (not sending power to the house), the generator trips due to "low frequency)" What does not sending power to the house mean? Genset breaker open? 2pole breaker in load center open? If either is open and all you did was connect the cable, the control board is suddenly sensing something as a fault and all you did was connect an open circuit. However the open circuit does supply the needed ground and neutral IF properly connected.

From this distance, sounding more and more like the genset works fine until you connect your service entrance neutral and ground. Wiring issue or there's a jumper that Briggs wants connected or unconnected to enable the control board to function properly.

Yes I measure proper voltage of 120v phase to neutral and 240v phase to phase. I will have to try a 240v load (all I have is my 3 wire dryer in the house).
When I plug the generator into the house plug, (with the house on grid power or with the house off grid), generator back feed breaker in the panel open and the 2 pole breaker on the generator open, the gen still faults on low frequency.
I will ring out all the cables and make sure they are landed on the correct terminals.
I can fix a 690v wind generator 300' up tower but cant fix a darn B&S Generator!
Thanks again for the help
-Jimbo
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok. After work before it got dark, I checked all cabling, connection and terminations. Everything is correct.
I fired up the gen, checked voltage and frequency.
Perfect voltage and HZ.
Checked voltage between neutral and ground which should be nothing.....87V.
Remove th ground on the gen and plug to the house, it stays running.
What do you think?
-Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page