Trying to figure out what compressor this is? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question Trying to figure out what compressor this is?

Hi, I recently started working @ a new facility and am trying to figure out what compressor this is? The compressor works but is directly hooked into the breaker box so in order to turn on, I need to turn on the breaker switch. The problem is it does not have a cut off pressure switch so can someone please point me in the right direction?

I would like to add a cut off switch but have no idea where to start, Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

These are the images of the compressor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1027.jpg (70.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1026.jpg (47.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1025.jpg (62.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1024.jpg (55.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (73.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (89.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (70.0 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Solidnickle

Looks like a VrV5-? Champion 2 stage compressor.

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidnickel View Post
These are the images of the compressor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Solidnickle,

A pressure switch and a magnetic starter would be needed. Most Pressure switches are not rated for a 23 amp motor.
The diagram shows that power is controlled by the pressure switch via the magnetic starter. The motor load is enormous at startup (locked rotor) Basically a crow bar across the supply voltage until the rotor starts turning. This load would destroy a simple switch's contacts so magnetic starters were developed to solve the starting problems of a motor for this reason. The parts are a couple of hundred dollars but it was idiotic and ignorant/dangerous to directly wire the motor to power!
Warning! do not run any compressor with out a high pressure control system! An explosion of the tank and a fatal injury could result. I can't believe some one would setup a compressor this way!

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevon View Post
Solidnickle

Looks like a VrV5-? Champion 2 stage compressor.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag starter Dia.jpg (18.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by stevon; 07-29-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: picture
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Stevon, I thought it was crazy that the guy wired it up like this; the problem is I can find any local help to fix this thing. The guy that wired it up like this left town, if you could help me out with fixing it, I would be more then happy to compensate you for your time, Thanks

-Danny
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Danny,

I wouldn't want any advice from him anyways judging by his track record!
first thing to do is remove the pressure gauge and install a "T" pipe fitting. put the pressure switch on one end and the gauge on the other. I didn't see the pressure switch on your pictures so You will have to buy one. This video will explain the process:

You will need something like this:

The technical manual for this device is https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/enha...aan3FVDXjd.PDF

There are different magnetic starter types out there. You need this type as it is a "remote" control and allows the use of a pressure switch to remotely turn the starter on/off. There are cheaper manual type starters out there that will do you no good.

Quote:
Thanks Stevon, I thought it was crazy that the guy wired it up like this; the problem is I can find any local help to fix this thing. The guy that wired it up like this left town, if you could help me out with fixing it, I would be more then happy to compensate you for your time, Thanks

-Danny

Last edited by stevon; 08-09-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: off
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM

magnetic starter

Danny,

I wouldn't want any advice from him anyways judging by his track record!
first thing to do is remove the pressure gauge and install a "T" pipe fitting. put the pressure switch on one end and the gauge on the other. I didn't see the pressure switch on your pictures so You will have to buy one. a cheap one to run the magnetic starter is fine just make sure it is rated for 175PSI shutoff pressure.
This video will explain the process:

You will need something like this:

The technical manual for this device is https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/enha...aan3FVDXjd.PDF

There are different magnetic starter types out there. You need this type as it is a "remote" control and allows the use of a pressure switch to remotely turn the starter on/off. There are cheaper manual type starters out there that will do you no good. You don't need a manual on/off switch!

Quote:

-Danny

Last edited by stevon; 07-30-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: 175 PSI switch
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Danny,

I live in San Diego where are you located in the US?
Oh by the way what is the ASME maximum working pressure stamped on the air tank? also, can you drain the condensation in the tank?

Stephen

Last edited by stevon; 07-30-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stephen for the info, I am located in Waller TX between Houston and Austin.

Would this part work for the pressure switch?

Also, can you shoot me a email @ [email protected] ? Certainly appreciate it, thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM

Danny,

That is 1/2 of the solution, the motor starter or "relay" part. for a pressure switch somehing like:
https://www.zoro.com/condor-usa-inc-...CABEgKal_D_BwE
is all that's needed to trigger the magnetic starter. you need to pipe this into the tank. Your champion compressor has a head unloader valve so this pressure switch without one should work.

Quote:
Thanks Stephen for the info, I am located in Waller TX between Houston and Austin.

Would this part work for the pressure switch? https://www.amazon.com/Starter-defin...71312766&psc=1

Also, can you shoot me a email @ [email protected] ? Certainly appreciate it, thanks

Last edited by stevon; 07-30-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: unloader valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page