Devilbiss pro air 2 Tripping Breaker - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Devilbiss pro air 2 Tripping Breaker

Hi there, so I've been troubleshooting my father's Air compressor. It starts up and then after 30 seconds trips the breaker. First thing I checked was the start and run capacitors and they both tested fine non-energized. The compressor is 120V and FLA is 7 amps. I took an amp reading at startup and it was drawing 39 amps. Just want some advice on what to check next or if more information is needed. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is this starting it up with no air in the tank or back pressure? I would check out the centrifugal switch on the motor to start with if capacitors are ok and the unit turns freely enough
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ChadT,

A little more history/info might help, the motor brand, model number HP rating. How long has this compressor been at it's current location and used on the same wiring? Using a long undersize extension cord? How close are you to running this circuit at the recommended 80% or less rule? Is there any wiring damage, burned plug, cable or socket issues? Is this a dedicated circuit (not shared). Does the compressor turn by hand easily at zero pressure at the tank? Any recent changes like a new belt? or tightening slack recently. 39 startup amps wouldn't really concern me, if that doesn't trip the breaker instantly, running amps under full load would be of interest.

Stephen

Last edited by stevon; 07-08-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
centrifugal switch

StevenHill,

Maybe it is the centrifugal switch. If it was stuck open the motor wouldn't start under load and if it was stuck closed the start winding/starting cap could burn out and the motor also wouldn't start under load if the circuit breaker didn't trip. A volt meter on the start capacitor while the motor is starting should give you a clue. Generally you should hear the clutch snap or disengage after a few milliseconds

You might try the old bloodhound technique. Smell around for a burnt smell around the motor , any contacts and even the circuit breaker.
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHill View Post
Is this starting it up with no air in the tank or back pressure? I would check out the centrifugal switch on the motor to start with if capacitors are ok and the unit turns freely enough

Last edited by stevon; 07-11-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: bloodhound technique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page