User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Which compressor?

Hi, first post...with a question:

I'm looking to upsize my current compressor. It's an old Mech Power 4gallon twin tank. It runs 4.6cfm @ 90psi. It takes care of most of my uses but its just too heavy to carry and it's pretty old and LOUD.

Besides regular home DIY stuff, I also do remodel jobs for myself, family, and friends. Portability is important as well as the footprint in my workshop, where space is at a premium. Occasionally I'll have to do some drywall texture. I don't do any automotive work, but I would like to be able to run maybe a cut off tool occasionally.

So... I have this job coming up finishing out a floored second story at my wife's therapy clinic. I've got to frame and finish about 10 small clinic rooms. I'm looking at these 2 compressors in my price range ($350) and would appreciate any thoughts.

Husky c303h 30 gallon - 175psi max / 1.7hp / [email protected] / $300
Dewalt d55168 15 gallon - 225psi max / 1.6hp / [email protected] / $340 (on sale)

I always thought Dewalt would be better than Husky but that Dewalt has a few poor reviews. As far as tank size, do my needs require a 30 gallon tank? And if my calculations are correct, the 15g Dewalt with that max psi, the cubic feet of air is equivalent to about a 19g tank at the same max psi of the Husky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

By "portable" I meant something with wheels, even it's a bigger compressor, to move it to job locations where it may be there for a couple weeks or so.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
pig140,

I would suggest this PUMA commercial unit instead, I honestly have never owned one, but PUMA is an industrial brand. As far as Dewalt and Husky, they both are probably made by coleman/sanborn and marketed as "Husky" or "Dewalt". They are "store bought quality" which is probably good enough for your needs.

Stephen

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puma-2-HP-C...5.c10#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Carry-...item3fc4148a51

More CFM, wheels?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolair-VT25....c100008.m2219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post
Hi, first post...with a question:

I'm looking to upsize my current compressor. It's an old Mech Power 4gallon twin tank. It runs 4.6cfm @ 90psi. It takes care of most of my uses but its just too heavy to carry and it's pretty old and LOUD.

Besides regular home DIY stuff, I also do remodel jobs for myself, family, and friends. Portability is important as well as the footprint in my workshop, where space is at a premium. Occasionally I'll have to do some drywall texture. I don't do any automotive work, but I would like to be able to run maybe a cut off tool occasionally.

So... I have this job coming up finishing out a floored second story at my wife's therapy clinic. I've got to frame and finish about 10 small clinic rooms. I'm looking at these 2 compressors in my price range ($350) and would appreciate any thoughts.

Husky c303h 30 gallon - 175psi max / 1.7hp / [email protected] / $300
Dewalt d55168 15 gallon - 225psi max / 1.6hp / [email protected] / $340 (on sale)

I always thought Dewalt would be better than Husky but that Dewalt has a few poor reviews. As far as tank size, do my needs require a 30 gallon tank? And if my calculations are correct, the 15g Dewalt with that max psi, the cubic feet of air is equivalent to about a 19g tank at the same max psi of the Husky.

Last edited by stevon; 06-28-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Rollair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those links. The bigger PUMA specs out just like my old Mech Power. But that Rolair really has me thinking now. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 AM

Watch craigslist. I bought an old school 1980's inline twin 120v with a rusted out 10 gal tank for $75. The pump and motor were overkill on the small tank. Found a 30 gallon horizontal tank at work. Moved all the parts over and it runs great.

Dont be afraid to buy an old one. They will run circles around the new oilless pumps from lowes. Compressor technology has not changed much in 40 years. The new stuff is mostly geared towards low maintenance and cost.

Check this guide if you want something brand new/modern type.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
name,

I recommend an oil lubricated compressor a RolAir 2.5 HP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolair-VT25....c100008.m2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post
By "portable" I meant something with wheels, even it's a bigger compressor, to move it to job locations where it may be there for a couple weeks or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in