Quincy single stage vs Puma two stage?? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quincy single stage vs Puma two stage??

I'm moving into a new home that finally gives me the large garage/shop I've been wanting for decades. I need a robust air compressor for the following non-professional (I'm semi-retired) tasks:

Auto mechanics and auto body work (air tools, air jack and spray paint gun, grinder and buffer)
Carpentry and cabinet making (framing and finish nail guns)
Sand blaster box
General shop duties, cleaning, etc.

I won't be using the compressor for multiple tasks simultaneously and am pretty much settled on an oil cooled 230v 1 phase type and am seriously looking at a Quincy single stage Q13160VQ and Puma two stage TE-3040V. Links below:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12330.html
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p13940.html

Quiet, long term reliability, reputable company and warranty, and reserve capacity for under $1000 are primary factors.

I'm interested in informed opinions and hands on reviews regarding the suitability of these compressors for my needs and also suggestions for other high quality units I may have overlooked.

Best Regards,
Marcel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Air compressor choice

I would recommend the two stage PUMA for 3 reasons.

1. it has 3 cast iron individual cylinders and inter/after cooler so more cooling = less water generated in air stream
2. lower RPM = quieter/cooler operation
3. higher pressure = less cycling of on and off
my 2 cents

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleemi View Post
I'm moving into a new home that finally gives me the large garage/shop I've been wanting for decades. I need a robust air compressor for the following non-professional (I'm semi-retired) tasks:

Auto mechanics and auto body work (air tools, air jack and spray paint gun, grinder and buffer)
Carpentry and cabinet making (framing and finish nail guns)
Sand blaster box
General shop duties, cleaning, etc.

I won't be using the compressor for multiple tasks simultaneously and am pretty much settled on an oil cooled 230v 1 phase type and am seriously looking at a Quincy single stage Q13160VQ and Puma two stage TE-3040V. Links below:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12330.html
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p13940.html

Quiet, long term reliability, reputable company and warranty, and reserve capacity for under $1000 are primary factors.

I'm interested in informed opinions and hands on reviews regarding the suitability of these compressors for my needs and also suggestions for other high quality units I may have overlooked.

Best Regards,
Marcel

Last edited by stevon; 04-19-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: iron
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if you have a LOWES by you they have a 2 stage more than adequate for a home user, a Kobalt 60-Gallon Electric Vertical Air Compressor

see:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/kobalt-60-g...SABEgLxPPD_BwE

At $559.00 this would be cheaper than the PUMA but not as industrial or as quiet as a cast iron pump compressor.
The Quincy compressor listed looks like it uses a common Italian Aluminum pump and the only original Quincy part# is the sticker on the tank, doubt compressor is even made in the Quincy factory but in actuality it is just a re-labeled compressor manufactured through MAT Holdings, Inc. (Sanborne, Coleman, DeWalt, others).
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will last for many years with light use. I have a 2 stage 60 gal Sanborn compressor myself that has lasted more than 30 years with just a little maintenance (oil, air filter, check valve, replacement electric motor, belt, etc.)
It all depends what you are looking for and what you will be happy with:

Cheaper, a little louder, runs hotter = Quincy or Kobalt compressor 50/50% on/off duty cycle
Pricier, quieter, cooler, more reliability = PUMA Iron 2 stage unit 100% on duty cycle

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevon View Post
I would recommend the two stage PUMA for 3 reasons.

1. it has 3 cast iron individual cylinders and inter/after cooler so more cooling = less water generated in air stream
2. lower RPM = quieter/cooler operation
3. higher pressure = less cycling of on and off
my 2 cents

Stephen

Last edited by stevon; 04-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page