Power Equipment Forum banner

Approximately how hot would a 1 HP electric motor get

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jow 
#1 · (Edited)
Approximately how hot would a 1 HP electric motor get on a 9-12 ton Log Splitter normally get during medium duty work (splitting 12" dia oak logs 1 hr)? Initially I d/n notice or remember heat above a normal hand’s feel on the motor, hydraulic cylinder or hydraulic fluid’s reservoir about 3 yrs ago.

Now I’m noticing heat at the 1 HP electric motor only. Definitely at the end of one job on slightly above 12" dia oak log splitting (about 2 hrs w/o excessive resistance) because the therno switch w/n let the motor restart after I stopped it. It restarted after cooling (which I felt was normal) but has had my attention since, as recent, with what is normal or is a problem occurring?

Thanks In Advance For Any Info.

#3 · (Edited)
In approx. 50-degree weather this morning the log splitter’s motor felt "normally warm" to my hand as long as I wanted to feel it. The final feel was after using the splitter approx. 45 minutes. Most notable was the splitter appeared slower in cycling with no load (in the cool weather) than in the past.

My rush to finish before an unknown worker next door showed for work could have influenced this fill but I doubt it. I hate pulling out tools around strangers. The 8-12" dia Red Oak’s inside was not as seasoned as the dead bark and checking cracks indicated. The splitter d/n stall/hesitate once vs appearing slower. Good Test & Results!

My next test will be using the splitter on my 50’, 12/3 ga extension in cool weather as in the past vs the trucking (to the house and back to the stack). I feel I will find the same normal warm motor in the cool weather or take breaks (while additional cutting).

#4 ·
Hi,
I think, it all depends on the voltage or load it is taking. When you don't have the motor loaded, it should be drawing the lowest amps and be cooling off. The other fact is, it depend on the brand you are using. It looks silly, but the maintenance department of the company help you to sort out the problem.

#5 · (Edited)
“The other fact is, it depend on the brand you are using. It looks silly, but the maintenance department of the companyhelp you to sort out the problem.” Please help me to understand this comment, with no negatives on my part for asking about my equipment w/o knowing the Mfg.. I actually feel it's a modified splitter from manual to hydraulic.

I added the last attachment of the splitting stacking of wood that will need to season until next year IMO.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.