Homelite Super EZ 16" Chain Saw Won't Start - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Homelite Super EZ 16" Chain Saw Won't Start

I've had the saw noted for approximately 40 years and have always done the maintenance on it. The last few years it became increasingly more difficult to start and reached the point this week where I could not get it to run.

I've
  • Cleaned the air & fuel filters.
  • Installed & gaped a new spark plug (0.025").
  • Cleaned the carburetor, jets & jet ports with Gum-Out Carburetor & Choke cleaner, letting the parts soak overnight for approximately 12 hrs.
  • Adjusted the idle screw & the LO/HI speed jets to specs.
  • Blew everything out with compressed air to clean & to ensure the fuel lines were open.
  • Added ethanol treatment to the gas & used that to fill the tank.
  • Left the gas cap open to ensure air entry.
  • Poured a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder & dipped the spark plug into gas to wet the plug.
After approximately 8-10 pulls with the choke on, the saw started (weekly) & when I gave it gas it died out. This has happened each time I attempt to start it.
  • Any ideas on what else I can do to get this saw to run?
  • Any chance that the ethanol has taken it's "death" toll inside the carburetor or elsewhere?
  • I cannot fully take the carburetor apart since replacement parts are no longer made & I don't want to take the chance on ruining a gasket & being unable to remake or replace it.
  • I've been using 87 octane fuel. Would 89 octane be better?
  • I've also noticed in Home Depot that they sell a can of fuel that is pre-mixed with an additive that presumably solves the ethanol related "no-start" problem. Any merit to this?

Any help is appreciated as this has been very frustrating.

PS I have my eye on a STIHL MS 180 C-BE 16" which I most likely will get next week. However, I was hoping to keep the Homelite running for use in "dirty" cutting, i.e. when trimming close to the ground.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited by *AL*; 03-30-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

PS I just recalled that after failing to start & keep the saw running, as described above, I removed the plug & it appeared to be dry. Yet, I cleaned the carburetor & fuel line from the tank to the carburetor & blew everything out. So, I don't understand why the plug would be dry. Frustrating!!!!!

Thoughts???
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thinking that perhaps the fuel line didn't re-fill with gas all the way to the carburetor thereby leaving it dry, and that since there isn't a primer bulb in the saw to load up the carburetor, I went back out & pulled the fuel line from the tank, removed the fuel filter from the end of the fuel line, sucked up some gas into a small squeeze bulb, filled the fuel line with gas using the bulb, put the filter back on, put the fuel line back into the tank, & tried to start the saw. Nothing!

Did I mention that this is frustrating?

Every thought that enters one's mind, doesn't have to exit one's mouth.

I find as I age I'm losing my memory.... and that's a load off my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

No suggestions from anyone? Perhaps I've covered the bases & should just get rid of the saw???

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

36 views & not a single suggestion. Am I approaching this wrong?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM

take off the muffler and try to start the saw. It will probably start and if it does then you have a clogged muffler. this is a common problem on old machines and sometimes on new machines, if you are using crappy 2 cycle oil.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

That's a good suggestion.

I did remove the muffler & did clean it out, but it really did look pretty clean. However, I will take it off & will try to start it. I'll also do a much more thorough job of cleaning. Perhaps I didn't do a good job the first time. There wasn't an internal screen as in some saws, just the external housing.

Thanks for your response, a good suggestion.

Al

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

OK, I give up.

I removed the muffler & the cylinder was exposed. No clogging going on.

I also totally stripped down the carburetor & cleaned it, plus clipped 1/4" from the end of the fuel line just to be sure of a tight fit to the carburetor fitting. I didn't totally strip it before, just removed the "top" parts & sprayed it thoroughly with carburetor/choke cleaner, let it sit overnight & then blew it out. Previously, I didn't strip the carburetor completely because I was afraid of damaging a gasket, or something & since these parts are no longer made/available according to a local Homelite dealer, I didn't want to take the chance. This time, with nothing to lose I took everything apart & sprayed & soaked it again with carburetor/choke cleaner. I have to admit there was still a lot of fine particles that flushed out. Blew it dry & tried to start it - nothing. Poured a teaspoon of gas into the plug hole & it started barely, after ~ 10 pulls, but wouldn't continue to run when giving it some gas. Continued to try & gave up. Checked the spark with a 1/4" screw in the plug boot & it did jump the 1/4" to the housing, although it didn't appear to be a strong spark. Nevertheless it did jump the gas.

I'm done - had the Homelite Super EZ start (really?) for ~ 40 years. Guess it's time for a new saw. Thinking of the Stihl MS 180 C-BE 16" saw.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM

check out the Husqvarna 435, very simple, very reliable saw, easy to service and parts are inexpensive.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Not sure if this is relative, but I blew out a carb once, and instantly ruptured the diaphram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page