Homelite Super EZ 16" Chain Saw Won't Start - Page 2 - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkhead View Post
check out the Husqvarna 435, very simple, very reliable saw, easy to service and parts are inexpensive.
Thanks for the recommendation. I agree that the Husqvana 435 would be a very good saw.

I was in fact looking at the Husqvana, along with the Stihl saws. I had discussed my application with each of the local dealers and based on my application, they recommend the Husqvana 240 and the Stihl MS 180 C-BE. I really don't need a higher level chain saw.

Basically, I don't use a chain saw much, just to cut up trees if I have a special project around the house, or to clean up broken trees & branches after a storm, & cut up into firewood (which I give away-no longer burn wood), i.e. very limited use. The 16" bar is right-sized for this. So, the saw pretty much sits around waiting for something to do.

Of the two saws noted above, the Stihl has 2.0 HP & weighs 9.3lbs, whereas the Husqvana has 1.5 HP & weighs 10.3 lbs, plus the Stihl is less bulky in overall size. In my limited judgement, both are very good saws and there are local dealers to service each if I need to have that done. I'm leaning towards the Stihl because of the extra 33% HP & lighter weight, although it would cost an additional $30.

I hate to see the 40+ year old Homelite go as it's been around for a long time, like an old friend, but it'e time for it to retire.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Al

Every thought that enters one's mind, doesn't have to exit one's mouth.

I find as I age I'm losing my memory.... and that's a load off my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've changed my mind about retiring the saw, at least until I try something else.

After thinking back on the results of the last carburetor cleaning & recalling that there was a significant amount of small black particles that flushed out, I'm guessing that the ethanol fuel may have eaten away at the diaphragm & other rubber components in the carburetor. If this assumption is correct, then the suction (vacuum) as the piston moves through its stroke might not pull on the diaphragm enough to draw in fuel because there isn't a vacuum as the diaphragm is porous as the ethanol ate away some of the rubber. And the plug did seem to be dry after trying to start it. So ???

I've ordered a carburetor kit. After being told by the local Homelite dealer that the parts are no longer made or available, I was surprised to find them readily available via Google. Guess the dealer wanted me to buy a saw rather than fix the problem. If the kit works, I may also have to replace the fuel line. Time will tell.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Finally!!!!!

It was the ethanol gas after all. I received the carburetor rebuild kit today & cleaned out the carburetor once again before assembling the new parts. The carburetor was still giving up a lot of small black particles after cleaning it "thoroughly" a few days ago. The ethanol really did a job on it.

It started up on the 6th or 7th pull - took a few turns to get some gas pulled into the cylinder. But once it started it kept on going and it now starts on the 1st pull. What a relief! Frustration is over!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page