Home backup hits a snag. - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Home backup hits a snag.

Hello all, first thing I should say is thank you for this forum and to all those who might be able to help.

I live in AZ and purchased a Generac Primepact 66LP (propane) generator for a backup system on my property.
It runs well and I finally got everything hooked up and wired in.

This generator came out of a motor home and as I found out today, is not actually a 240 generator
but two 120 legs at 30 amps each for a total wattage of 6600. It was designed for running in a 50 amp coach
and running two 120 roof top AC's at the same time.

It shows 120 at each leg when testing from the neutral or ground to each leg. But leg to leg is zero.

I had purchased this to run my well pump and central air conditioning when the power goes out in monsoon season.
My central air requires 240v at 17 amps.

I live in a 5th wheel and everything in the house works including the swamp cooler as it is only using one leg at 30 amps.

And now I'm in a pickle. My genius electronic friend said to find a voltage transformer that would convert the two 120 legs to 240 but looking online, I can't find anything that would take two 120 legs to 240
but only one 120 leg to 240.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot - 2_11_2017 , 2_02_09 PM.png (76.9 KB, 3 views)

Chilling in the desert Sun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Hi thehandyman1957,

It seems like one of the power coils were inverted. Let's see: This generator has two coils, each of them produces 120 volts. You can connect them in series ( as from factory), being the junction point the neutral. From this point to any of the 2 terminals will obtain 120 volts, and from extreme to extreme (end to end) 120 + 120 = 240 volts. But if you invert any one of the coils, ( phase inverting) you will obtain exactly what you are measuring 120 volts between neutral and each extreme but 0 volts between extremes because they are in phase. It means that at any instant the voltage in both terminals will be exactly at the same level, giving as result a difference of 0 volts between both terminals.

So the solution is very simple, if this is the case, just invert One of the coil terminals coming from the stator to the power connector, in this way:
Before: a bnc d After: b anc d
Being a and b terminals, of coil 1 and c and d, terminals of coil 2, n is neutral.

I hope this help you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Osviur, you are indeed correct. After seeing your reply I dug into the owners manual and found the exact instructions on
page 6.

It took me about 40 minutes to get it all to where it needed to be and after testing it indeed showed 239 across both legs.

I tested it on both the central AC and then the well pump (separate of course) and both worked flawlessly

Thank you for your reply and I will mark this as fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot - 2_11_2017 , 8_21_34 PM.png (130.1 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Well it seems I'm not allowed to edit any post so I'm not sure how to mark as fixed.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 PM

You are welcome thehandyman1957 and I am happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page