Clutch & Brake Band Mystery - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch & Brake Band Mystery

I have a used Craftsman 358351702 chainsaw. I opened up the clutch assembly and can see what looks like dark discoloration on the drum and clutch, plus some melted plastic on the chassis ("~12-1 o'clock" as viewed from the saw's right side) and on the chainsaw brake.

Clutch & Brake Band Mystery-img_5814.jpg

Clutch & Brake Band Mystery-img_5813.jpg

I removed the excess melted plastic with a blade. The brake drags on the drum, however; it does not retract concentrically/evenly all the way around the drum.

Clutch & Brake Band Mystery-img_5817.jpg

When the brake is off, it "sits" on small plastic "seats" molded into the chassis. These were deformed by melting -- see where the tool is pointing -- and my shaving didn't help.

Clutch & Brake Band Mystery-img_5815.jpg

I could make the band take proper, concentric shape by pushing on it gently (where the tool is pointing) and the drum will rotate freely, but the loss of brake seat material was a real problem. There were not seats all-the-way-around the band to allow me to shave them all down equally, so I built up the shaved seats and now the drum rotates freely. But, I want to know why the plastic melted in the first place. I have not operated the saw, though it was used recently. I noticed the chain movement under idle immediately when it was started up. Since it is a few years old, I have incomplete info on how it was (ab)used. Any thoughts?

Also, I'd like to solve the underlying problem for the chain moving while the motor idles. I tried some minor adjustment of the idle screw (not the L and H carb screws), but did not get a solid result before opening things up and revealing the clutch-area issues. Could the carb that needs to be cleaned cause excessive high-idling regardless of the idle screw adjustment? Maybe if the butterfly valve was jammed?

Is the clutch destroyed, or could that just be burned oil coating it and the drum? It appears to be fully retracted at rest, and as I mentioned above, the drum can rotate freely now that the brake band is relaxed in a concentric position. The drum's teeth looked OK, also -- very minor wear, that I can attribute to normal use/contact with the chain. If the discoloration is due to the clutch slipping, could that heat have changed the springs' temper such that the clutch shoes move out at lower-than-normal RPM?

Other constructive thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5817.jpg (88.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5815.jpg (101.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5813.jpg (136.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5814.jpg (148.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page