Power Equipment Forum banner

Do synthetic oils reduce total maintenance costs over time?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cmartyn 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Compared to what? If you buy Honda Dino oil in quarts from parts.net, its more expensive than synthetic. Synthetic maintains it's shear point longer than dino but the oil change intervals are so short due to all the contaminants and lack of filtration that I'm not convinced it has a benefit other than the solvent properties of it. I use it only because I have it for the car and don't want to buy different kinds. For a tool that sees a lot of abuse, it generally needs replacing long before the engine wears out. I can't think of a single tool I threw out because of a worn out engine, its always some other catastrophically expensive part. Perhaps the exception might be an expensive lawn tractor but for lawnmowers and weed whackers, I doubt you could justify it.

#4 ·
Synthetic oil is best some reasons are below
Reduction of friction and wear
Equipment protection
Temperature Control
Life Span, efficiency, and reliability of engine components
The benefits of oil change are numerous for your vehicle: it should run more smoothly, and last for much longer.

#5 ·
The benefits are not in question. It's the value of them.

Say, you have a 2500.00 snow blower you use three times a year for an hour. If you do minimal maintenance on it like change the oil once a year, that blower will last a lifetime if you put cheap oil in it or synthetic. If the blower does not last a lifetime it will not be because of engine failure due to using crappy oil. So in this case, the answer is no, it is not worth it.

#7 ·
I know, its like when you go to Wal-Mart and spend 1/2 hour deciding between Penzoil platinum or Penzoil platinum ultra. And to prove you made the right choice you take before and after photos of the inside of your valve cover. I have not been able to do that though because I have to put the valve cover in the ultrasonic before reinstalling it anyways., AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :tango_face_devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.