Well pump amperage draw - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Well pump amperage draw

The house we bought is on well water, but no history on the well pump was transferred to us in the sale...such as horsepower or other specs. I only know it's 100 feet down to my static water level because I tied a fishing weight on fishing line and put it down the well casing until I heard it hit water.

On line I see that average residential well pumps are about 1- 1.5 horsepower.
With an amp meter I'm getting 12 running amps after an initial 25 amp surge. At 240v that equals 2,880 watts (or about 3.85 horsepower -at 746w per hp). That seems a little high. Does anyone know if 12 amps is about normal for these pumps? I'm wondering if I have a tired pump or acceptable numbers. thanks
kanoa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I guess there are no well pumpers out there responding!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tractornut

The largest well pumps I have seen are 2 hp in my area however given that your water table is 100 feet down I would have to assume that the pump is 150-300 feet down and according to what I've found online a 1.5 hp pump will pump to 275 feet ( this is for a utilitech pump on lowes site) and draw 11.5 amps if you have a 1.5 horse pump I'd say you're good for reference a 1 hp pump will draw about 9.8 amps I'm sure the numbers are different between manufacturers but hope this helped you may also be able to find info on the well at your county records office most counties keep the info on file at least in my neck of the woods
tractornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the reply. I guess it's okay amp range. I'll have to check those records you mentioned and see what they have on file. strange why the math for back calculating the horsepower doesn't come out quite right. given there's 746 watts per horsepower..a pump drawing 12 amps should be: 12amps x 240v = 2880watts / 746w = 3.85hp. I guess these pumps are operating at higher horsepower than their rating.. unless the 1.5hp is just a static rating,, as in pumping no water

Last edited by kanoa50; 10-23-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tractornut

More than likely the rating depends on the pump manufacturer for instance a more expensive Wayne pump could be closer to two hp plus has a better warranty and longer life span needed a utilitech pump from the big box stores is rated closer to its actual power but has a shorter warranty and lifespan comparing the specs for same hp pimps from both manufacturers there is a big difference in the lift capability between the two
tractornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement